Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Expectation fulfilled !

If you think finding a job is difficult then try finding a 'right' job ... and that too when the entire globe is still infected with 'recession' !!

Well, I am not going to give tips on how to hunt for your dream job but the discussion here is about how you or your job application is being treated after you applied for a position.

What do you expect when you apply for a job? A call right away asking for your availability to attend the rounds of interview or a confirmation mail stating they have your application for the position and if it doesn't match it will go to their pool/database (or recycle bin)? But the cruel reality is that we hear nothing from the prospective employer.

I understand that with hundreds of application being sent for one position, it is difficult for recruiter or employer to send 'confirmation' receipt to all of them. But when I am called for interview and I have done fairly good in the interview, I expect a better treatment than a never ending silence after diplomatic phrase - "we will get back to you". If they have got a candidate better than me why shouldn't I be informed about it?

Recently I applied at two places - one was for a job (Sr. Developer) and other was for a PhD position. The response from them were like two ends of ocean. In case of my application for job, I was interviewed for more than an hour and was told that the interviewer is happy with my skills and soon he will get back to me with offer/HR round. .. and that was the last time I heard from him. I tried contacting him over emails and phone but could never get him or his reply.

In contrast to that was the response to my application from a university. Nearly 10 days after my application submission, there comes a post confirming the receipt of my application and stating other facts about the post - How many application they have received by the end of deadline, application assessment guidelines, procedure and timeline including by when (latest) I am expected to hear the result of my application. Amazing and quite satisfying, isn't it?

Perhaps its time for corporates to learn professionalism from academics !!

No comments: